Composite Fillings Can Restore Your Smile in Just One Visit
If you have a cavity you may think your only option is to receive a metal (amalgam) filling. Amalgam fillings have been used for many years, but today composite resin fillings are giving doctors and patients a more natural and better wearing alternative. Unlike amalgam fillings which are obvious, composite fillings can be matched perfectly with your natural tooth’s color. Also, they are easy to apply and you can have your smile restored in just one visit to the office.
What are composite fillings?
Composite fillings are a plastic and glass mixture used to restore a decayed tooth. They are also used in cosmetic dentistry to improve your smile by changing the color or shape of your teeth. If you have a disfigured or broken tooth, composite fillings may be used to reshape and restore the tooth.
What are some of the benefits of composite fillings?
Composite fillings offer several benefits to the doctor and patient. Some of these include the following:
- Since they match your tooth’s natural color and shape they are aesthetically pleasing.
- The composite material is non-toxic, non-irritating, and 100 percent bio-compatible.
- They are easy to manipulate and use which makes their application quick and easy.
- Composite fillings are insensitive to dehydration and have an excellent structural integrity.
- Composite fillings form a secure bond with your tooth’s enamel and dentin.
- They have no mercury and non-corrosive.
- The composite material is highly versatile and can be used for front teeth and back teeth for repair and restoration.
What can I expect at my visit?
Composite fillings are easy for your doctor to use and a way for you to get your tooth restored in just one visit. First the tooth to be treated is isolated using a rubber dam or cotton rolls to protect it from contamination by saliva. If the tooth is decayed a mechanical hand held tool is used to remove the decay. The tooth is etched with a mild acid based gel to create micro-porosity which helps the composite material bond to the tooth.
The gel is then washed away and the tooth is dried. A very find layer of dental bonding is then applied onto which the composite material is applied in layers. Once your doctor has filled or rebuilt the tooth, and the composite material is shaped to match the natural contours of your teeth, a special blue light is used to set the composite material.
Now you can leave the office with a restored tooth and a restored smile. If you need a cavity filled or a tooth restored, call or contact us today. Dr. Taylor can help you get your smile back in just one visit with composite fillings.